When I first started personal training with Matt, he asked me what my goal was that I had set for myself for the end of the 12 months. At that time I had stated that I would have liked to have the ability to run a full marathon by the end of the duration of my training with him. Now, if I was to ever get to the stage in my life where I could complete a marathon then I would personally be amazed, you have no idea how poor my stamina is currently so to run such a distance is actually quite mind boggling to me right now.
There is one slight issue however with my initially stated goal, and that is that the training for such a feat really does not excite me one bit. Talk of “joining a running club” drew the blood from my face, lets face it, long distance running is boring, its boring to watch and (for me anyway) its not that enjoyable to actually do.
So Matt asked me to cover some areas to get a better understanding of what I am personally aiming to achieve for myself with the training I am doing. My answers (in italics) to his requests are below:
1. Define, clearly and concisely, exactly what you want.
I would like to improve my overall fitness, physical strength & appearance.
In terms of fitness, I would like to be at a level where I no longer am out of breath after mild cardio. Ideally I would like to be active for a lot longer duration of time before I am fatigued. Improve stamina! – Goal would be to run 10 mins at a decent speed without collapsing (or wanting to).
I can hardly do one chin up. My upper body strength is poor for my size, I would like to be able to lift heavier and increase my overall upper body bulk/size. Goal – Lets get 10 chin-ups out of me in one set.
I need to completely get rid of the gut and get the 6 pack on show. Also, after having discussions with you I am keen to fix my posture. Goal – Zap the fat off (is this possible to do in 12 weeks?)
Make a plan
The plan will be for me to be at the gym 3x per week doing sessions with you plus doing interval training 3x a week in the days in between.
Follow The Plan
So far going OK, Ive stuck to all the gym sessions but have skipped some interval training in the past. Since using the new android cardio app, I have not missed an interval training session.
2. What are the five most important specific accomplishments I need to make, within the next 12 weeks, to ensure I arrive at my destination on time?
- Workout 3 x a week.
- Ensure I eat clean everyday.
- Stay focused on the goals.
- Drink more water.
- Track performance in cardio and try to beat it each session.
3. What are the 3 main bad habits or actions that may prevent me achieving my goals?
- Junk food.
- Losing motivation (not happened yet, doubt it will happen however its happened in the passed when training alone).
- Finding excuses (again, its not happened and I doubt it will but you said “may”).
What are three new habits or actions that will help me to achieve my goals?
- Regular healthy breakfast – I was inconsistent with breakfast before this training regime, it would lead me to be extremely hungry come lunch time and would tend to have an unhealthy lunch because of it.
- Public accountability – If I let those close to me know my goals I have a tendency of achieving the goals as opposed to times when I do not let them know.
- Involve myself within the community – will actively seek out and get to know more people who have similar goals, may do this online, will keep me motivated and is great to bounce ideas off of other individuals.
Leave a comment